Skip to content Skip to footer

Which certificate suits you?

All clubs and rental services in Europe predominantly operate with aircraft from Cessna, Piper, Diamond, Robin, Tecnam, etc. These fall into the category of 2 or 4-seater planes with a piston engine, known as Single Engine Piston (SEP). You can recognize them by their registration, consisting of 5 letters, like PH-ACX for example.

In addition, some flying clubs also rent Touring Motor Gliders, which can be identified by their registration with 2 letters and 4 numbers, such as PH-1466.

There are 2 licenses that allow you to fly these types of aircraft in Europe: PPL and LAPL.

The Private Pilot License (PPL) originated from the USA, and it grants you the ability to fly in both Europe and the USA.

Additionally, all European countries have collectively issued a license for European countries called the Light Aircraft Pilot License (LAPL).

The powers of your license

The powers of both licenses are similar, and you can fly with both in European countries on almost all “General Aviation” SEP and TMG aircraft. The theory training is the same for both licenses.
If you have obtained the LAPL and want to fly in the USA, we can also offer a conversion from LAPL to PPL.
After obtaining the LAPL or PPL license, you can also pursue further training, such as aerobatics, glider towing, mountain flying, and night flying.
There is also an “enroute instrument rating” that requires a PPL.
If you aspire to a commercial job in aviation, choose the PPL and expand it with a Commercial Pilot License.

What does it cost to get a certification from the ACV?

The law requires that you have had at least 30 hours of instruction at a flight school in order to take an LAPL exam. Experience shows that you can only obtain this license in those 30 hours if you have the right talents and receive proper training. For the PPL license, the structure and individual elements are the same, but a minimum of 45 hours of training is required.

The ACV can help you pursue the right theoretical education at a specialized school. The theoretical subjects include: Air law, Human performance, Meteorology, Communications, Navigation, Principles of flight, Operational procedures, Flight performance and planning, and Aircraft general knowledge.

  • Minimum 30 hours of aircraft rental a €105 and 30 hours of instruction a 50, together €4,650
  • Approx 150 times landing money on Hilversum and some other fields, approx. 2,000
  • Those 30 hours are the legal minimum; there are also aspiring pilots who have required more hours of instruction.
  • The “complete textbook for practical training” a €50
  • Training, textbooks and exams for the theory subjects, depending on method and trainer approx. € 1,500
  • English language exam (LPE) approx €150
  • Class 2 medical certificate (EASA Class 2) first issue approx €300
  • Radiotelephony training and exam approx € 500
  • Practical exam, approx. €250
  • Issuance of the license by the KIWA ca € 730
  • Membership in the ACV